Indian Head Massage originated in India over 5000 years ago. Now it is a beautifully restoring treatment popular the world over. It doesn’t require you to remove any clothing and can be done more or less anywhere and everywhere. This means relaxation and holistic wellness are accessible for everyone.
It originates from an Indian holistic system called Ayurveda. This system believes that the mind and body are intricately connected and can influence one another. It suggests that Indian head massage can reduce headaches and improve physical well-being. In addition, it claims that it can also improve mental and emotional wellness.
What is Indian head massage?
Indian head massage focuses on the upper back, shoulders, neck, head and face.
You don’t have to remove any clothes. So this makes it a very accessible treatment, perfect for newcomers to massage. To start with, you sit in a low backed chair. Secondly, I don’t use any oils or creams. So it is an ideal treatment for people who like a treatment with minimal fuss!
What to expect
The treatment starts on the upper back around the shoulder blades. After that, I move onto the shoulder area. People often hold a lot of tension in their shoulders so this can bring relief to tight muscles. Following this, I move up the neck massaging and stretching to relieve stress and tension, and then work down the arms. Then I treat the scalp along with the acupressure points on the head. The treatment finishes with some of the reflex points on the face to relieve stress around the jaw, forehead and eyes.
The benefits of Indian head massage
There are so many benefits to Indian head massage; here are just a few:
- Promotes hair growth by increasing oxygen in the hair follicles.
- Prevents headaches and migraines by releasing built-up tension in the head and neck area.
- Renews and balances energy levels through stress reduction
- Relieves symptoms of depression and anxiety through relaxation
- Boosts memory capabilities by relieving stress and quieting the mind
- Stimulates lymphatic drainage by circulating blood to the neck area
- Promotes better sleep by reducing stress
- Improves circulation of cerebral spinal fluid
- Helps relieve the symptoms of sinus trouble
Combine with Other Treatments
This treatment can stand alone or can be an ideal treatment to combine with either Foot Reflexology or Facial Reflexology. It can be adapted to create an ideal bespoke treatment that targets your needs.